Ballot on Industrial Action
- This branch condemns the University of Manchester leadership’s actions in threatening compulsory redundancies to redeployees and IT staff, and in seeking to make highly detrimental changes to the Redeployment Policy which could lead to widespread future compulsory redundancies.
- Furthermore, the branch deplores the University management’s failure to engage in any meaningful negotiations with the campus trade unions over these issues.
- We call upon UCU’s Regional Organiser to declare a Trade Dispute on behalf of the branch with immediate effect, and to initiate balloting of members for strike action and action short of a strike (ASOS).
Rethinking UK Research Funding
A motion from this branch was passed at UCU’s national Higher Education Sector Conference in Glasgow in May 2015.
The motion highlighted the negative effects of short-term research funding and called on UCU to convene a meeting where researchers and representatives of UCU, the UK research councils and charities can explore possible alternatives.
As a result, a group of researchers at The University of Manchester, with the support of UCU nationally, are organising a one-day conference as part of the University’s “Policy Week 2015” events.
The conference will provide a forum for discussion about the way research is funded in the UK and will include substantial input from a large group of research staff.
This branch agrees to publicise the meeting by email and on our website and provide £300 towards the cost of its organisation.
We’ve had Enough! National Demo, 4th November
- This demonstration calls for free education and living grants for undergraduates and postgraduates.
- Education does not stop being a public good after an undergraduate degree and living costs should not be a determinant of access to postgraduate degrees.
- Postgraduates are at the sharp edge of the marketisation of education.
- Research postgrads are caught between being neither fully students or staff and are very often exploited in their position at the bottom of career ladder.
- Therefore, this branch calls on postgraduate students to attend the demonstration on November 4th.
- And will provide £100 to UMSU to support attendance at the demo.