Graduate Teaching Assistants
Why should I join the UCU as a University of Manchester GTA?
We are aware that GTAs often feel in a grey area at the University, as in the past they were neither well represented as students, nor as staff. Because of this, over the past few years we have been building on our UMUCU GTA network to ensure that GTA issues are heard, understood and represented at all levels.
What we have achieved:
- Paid compulsory training for all GTAs across the University
- Ensured all GTA contracts specify a minimum number of weekly hours to guarantee earnings
- Passed a national motion at the UCU HESC campaigning for the wider recognition of the GTA contract within the UKCEA framework (which can be found here)
- Guaranteed no loss of earnings for GTAs throughout the Coronavirus lockdown due to cancelled classes and the move to teaching online (this was extended to Semester 1 of the 2020/21 year)
- Won sick pay for GTAs in Semester 1 of the 2020/21 academic year
UCU Membership for GTAs and PGRs is free for the first four years. Enrolled PhD students who are also contracted to teach at the higher education institution at which they are registered for their PhD studies.
Join here: www.ucu.org.uk/free
> Membership Type: Standard Full Membership
> Free Membership? Yes
Other helpful links
Want to be more involved with the GTA network? Email firstname.lastname@example.org